14 September 2015

Vintage Lighthouses on Postcards


Vintage postcard sent by Heleen (the Netherlands). It shows the lighthouse of Ploumanac'h in France. It was sent by the first time in June 19, 1970. The postmark was quite interesting, so the sender decided not to cover it with other stamp and send the postard inside an envelope:




It arrived along with another vintage postcard showing Girdle Ness Lighthouse in Aberdeen (Scotland, the UK). It was sent on June 27, 1974. Even if the message written was quite short, I always think that old postcards have something special...




The third postcard was sent by Mim (the USA). It shows the tallest lighthouse in the USA, Cape Hatteras (in North Carolina). I do not know the year of the picture; the back of the postcard is not written. But the picture was taken prior to its relocation in 1999 (due to erosion of the shore).

5 comments:

  1. I really like these postcards. Amd I find it very interesting when there are old messages, intended to be for another, sometimes intimate, reader. Not that I have one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them too. However, I usually don't buy "2nd hand" postcards.

      Delete
  2. The lighthouse had to be moved inland in 1999 to save it from the encroaching sea. This shows the old location. There is a YouTube video showing how the lighthouse was moved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that, it's amazing! I will add the nformation to the post.

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.