20 October 2017

From the Present and Past


By sheer coincidence, this letter from Fabienne (France), arrived together with John's... but safe and sound, this time! I don't know if you can appreciate from the picture how beautiful this is: the lighthouse is glued to the envelope, and the sea horse... is made from wood! The stamps match very well, too:


The sender included postcards from a place she visited: Le Tréport, and its lighthouse. The first witten by her. The others, bought in a second-hand shop; and amazingly, written by the same people on 18 September 1972 and on 17 September 1986.




Do you know the Twitter and Instagram accounts of Postcard from the Past? They publish old postcards from holidays with just a sentence of what was written on the back. Sometimes it seems silly, out of context. But most of the time it intrigues me. I always think of the life of the people who write exactly that, at a given time, probably without paying a lot of attention... 


On the back of these postcards, Louis and Henriette just speak of weather and how well (and how much!) they are eating and sleeping. It sounds like the perfect holidays, except for the wind.



Post added to Maria's link, Postcards for the Weekend. This week, the theme is Lighthouses. Actually, I receive lighthouses quite often, for what I am very happy.

10 comments:

  1. Il y a quelques années la poste Française avait émis un beau bloc de timbres sur les phares mais hélas je n'en avais pas ! J'aime aussi le charme désuet de ces cartes postales et sur la dernière les vêtements marquent vraiment l'époque !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J'ai aimé beaucoup que les deux cartes on été écrites par les mêmes gens. J'imagine cette couple passant les vacances au même endroit tous les années...

      Delete
  2. I love Postcards from the Past!!
    And that envelope is beautiful - great that the seahorse survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed that the wooden seahorse arrived safe and sound. It adds a lot of charming to the collage.

      Delete
    2. J'avais utilisé une colle forte et l'avais collé de de façon à ce que la machine de la poste ne l'arrache pas !

      Delete
  3. It is a beautiful envelope from Fabienne!

    And 'Postcard from the Past' is a nice project, thank you for attracting our attention to it! I found them on instagram also, and to me the single phrases seemed weird to me at first sight, but as you say, they make the postcards even more intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't now it wasn't an Instagram account too. I will add it to the post.

      Sometimes I think I could do the same, publishing my old postcards with only a sentence... That would be funny!

      Delete
  4. Hi Eva, You are quite a prolific blogger and an inspiration for me in that respect. I mention that because this post was made just 3 days ago and yet you have several newer posts that I just looked at and enjoyed today. I like all of your postcards and stamps in this post. Thanks for telling us about Postcards from the Past. Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it depends on the mod (at the time available). But sometimes I just schedule some posts in a row...

      Thanks for coming!

      Delete

Thank you for coming. All your comments make me extremely happy.